Unfortunately, depression is something that often creeps up on us. So, it can be easy to slip into and be in a bad place before you’re really aware of what’s going on. Depression isn’t a bad day or a low mood, though. It’s a serious condition that can devastate people’s lives. So, it’s important to know what to be aware of some of the signs and symptoms to look out for.
1. Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions.
2. Fatigue and decreased energy.
3. Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness.
4. Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism.
5. Insomnia, early morning waking, or excessive sleeping.
6. Irritability and/or restlessness.
7. Loss of interest in activities or hobbies that you normally enjoy.
8. A decreased sex drive.
9. Over-eating or loss of appetite.
10. Persistent aches and pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems.
11. Persistent sad, anxious, or empty feelings.
12. Thoughts of suicide.
If you experience these symptoms, please seek help as quickly as possible by consulting your doctor. You can also visit BeyondBlue and take a short test to see whether you might be experiencing depression and/or anxiety by clicking on this link.
It’s also important to keep an eye out for family and friends who might also be going through depression. Remember that help is readily available, so there’s no need to suffer from depression.